Close

Homepage Forums Support From Our Forum Community OCD & Intrusive Thoughts Hypnotherapy – Any Good or Waste Of Time?

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pharent
    Participant

Has anyone out there felt any success with Hypnotherapy, or know of anyone who has benefitted from it? I expect it has as much to do with the Hypnotist as much as anything else but I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has tried it please

wannabefree
      Participant

Hi there… Well, It’s very relaxing! My GP offered it, and it was very helpful. As is guided meditation.

A name that comes to mind is Paul McKenna. His books with accompanying CD’s are very good. You listen in your own time, in a place that suits you, and they are not as expensive as getting an actual appointment, that could take ages, re. Waiting lists, and expense. I suggest that you give his offerings a try, they are readily available from Amazon.

I definitely reccommend them.

If nothing else, you’ll certainly sleep a lot better!

Welcome.

Wannabe

Pharent
        Participant
        Participant

Thats a good idea thank you. I wonder if it even needs tailoring to a specific condition or set of circumstances, or can work generally as I imagine the CD’s must be. It certainly is positive feedback on its viability. Thanks for your input

johna2
          Participant

If you mean specifically for OCD, I wasted a lot of time with hypnotherapy back in 2006 when I was really bad with OCD. So, I personally don’t think it works.

CBT is standard for OCD.

Pharent
            Participant
            Participant

Thank you for your input, much appreciated – Getting opinion on it has proven somewhat difficult, possibly because anyone that has found it has helped is no longer perusing sites like this as it has fixed the issue. By definition I imagine most, not all, still on these sites are continuing to have problems with OCD and therefore perhaps have not yet found a treatment that works for them – if that makes sense. Therefore I suspect I’m looking in the wrong place, although so far with just 2 responses its 50/50 haha. Thing is, I’m looking for a cure here – not something to get by with – an end to it. With so many not “suffering” with OCD there has to be a way, No?

johna2
              Participant

To be honest I’m not really suffering from OCD at present. Had a very bad time back in 2006/7 and a nasty turn in 2020. I tend to be all or nothing.

I’m not sure there is a total cure. I thought I’d conquered it back in 2007, but then it got me again during lockdown, together with very bad depression.

I guess hope springs eternal!

I tend to come on here because I feel I want to help people who are having it rough. Dont know how much it helps folks? But if it helps one person then I guess it’s worth it.

Forum Moderators

Hi:

Forum moderators here; we’re sorry you’re going through a difficult time now. Please don’t ever think you’re alone – OCD Action is here to help you.

And please remember that you can also contact the OCD Action Helpline to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential help, information and support for people with OCD (and anyone who thinks they may have OCD). Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your entire life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478 (this is a UK number).
                  • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

And please remember that you’re never alone – OCD Action is always here to help and support you.

Best wishes,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.