Close

Homepage Forums Support From Our Forum Community OCD & Intrusive Thoughts Best to keep quiet about OCD?

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 11 months ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    johnysteyn
    Participant

Hi I was diagnosed with OCD 10 years ago and me and my family thought it was best to keep quiet about it. But now, I find the more I open up to people about having it, the more likely they are to understand me and be kind. My parents disagree.

Who is right about this, me or my parents?

OCDandme
      Participant

I would say it depends on the individual. If you know them well enough to feel comfortable telling them then you would hopefully know them well enough to gauge what their reaction will be.

I’d say select the people you tell rather than broadcast it. Tell the ones you know will enhance your situation.

Forum Moderators

Forum Moderators here:

Thanks very much for posting on the forums. We just want to remind you that you’re never alone and OCD Action is here to support you.

Please remember, if you’d like to talk to or email someone who understands OCD, please contact our OCD Action Helpline.

You can get confidential information about and support from a Helpline volunteer who understands how OCD can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478
          • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

We hope this is helpful,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.