Close
  • This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by wannabefree.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    davidmark
    Participant

I lost a number of supposedly close friends when my OCD got really bad. My mum suggested I give them a book on ocd to read or to try to educate them by looking at this website. But they don’t want to be educated, so I’m thinking they are just really luke-warm friends.

Anyone else lost friends over the matter of ocd? What did do?

johna2
      Participant

A buddhist teacher once told me, overnight your best friend can become your worst enemy and your worst enemy your chief benefactor.

We can’t change other people if they are resistant to change.

I think we have to cultivate detachment.

I no longer get so invested in other people. My friend of 30 years has just snubbed me. Whatever………..

Forum Moderators

Hi:

Forum moderators here; we’re sorry you haven’t had many replies yet. Please don’t take this personally or ever think you’re alone. It may just be that forum users are taking a bit of  time to consider how to reply and support you.

And please remember that you can also contact the OCD Action Helpline to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential help, information and support for people with OCD (and anyone who thinks they may have OCD). Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your entire life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478 (this is a UK number).
          • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

And please remember that you’re never alone – OCD Action is always here to help and support you.

Best wishes,

Forum Moderators

wannabefree
          Participant

Hi there… It is in times of need that we find out who our true friends are…

They want us for the benefits we provide them, after that, they can literally let go of us, and move on to other people. In the NHS, for instance, It is said that 30% of workers, are actually looking for something else to do… In care work you have two types of people… Takers, and Givers. No prizes for guessing which they are… The Givers are now coming down with burnout related problems. “We literally have given blood, sweat, and a hell of a lot of tears… I have nothing more to give, and you dislike me for that… You, who are lucky beyond your wildest dreams, but yet cannot see it… You’ve taken everything… I have no more left to give…” Is being said by people. The thing is, the physical body starts to fail… And so it becomes difficult for us to be generous with our time… And the cure for that malady, if indeed there is one, takes years…  In my case, well over thirty…

We are all in need too… But Takers have ‘Tunnel vision’, they see only in black and white, and identify only with what they don’t yet physically possess… Must have more, and more. And yet…

Friends that leave us in our time of need… Were never really real friends at all…

So maybe, we need to look for different ‘real’ friends in our time of need. And then lean back on ourselves, Cos at the end of the day, we can be friends with ourselves… Good friends with ourselves. 🙂

Wannabe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.