Close
  • This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tombrady1980
    Participant

I googled OCD in kids and it sounds like my son has ocd to me. I’m tryig not to jump to any conclusions or scare him, but should I take him to the GP? I’m afraid the GP won’t take me or him seriously.

joj
      Participant

I think it’s definitely worth taking him to the GP. If your son is old enough, be sure to get his input too. I took my daughter (15) to the GP a few weeks ago. She had already spoken to a counsellor from the childline webchat about how she was feeling and they recommended she see the GP for possible OCD and anxiety.

She wrote down a list of things that she wanted to mention, from behaviours to how she felt, then asked me if there was anything I thought she’d missed.

When we were at the appointment, she had the list out and went through it point by point, the GP then brought up a tick box questionnaire and went through that.

The questionnaire was really simple, it was a tick box one that the GP filled out from the information we’d spoken about then asked about any points that weren’t covered.

I think it was important to be prepared, the list meant we didn’t forget anything or the impact it was having so I’d definitely recommend this.

You can ask for a referral to children’s mental health services regardless of how seriously the GP takes you but I think they’ll generally take you seriously. If you feel they haven’t, ask to see a different GP until you feel you’ve been listened to.

Forum Moderators

Forum moderators here:

We just want you to know that you can also contact the OCD Action Helpline and Email Service to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential information and support for people with OCD (and their families, friends and carers too). Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand OCD and how it can impact the lives of family, members, friends and carers. Contact our Helpline by:

– phone: 0300 636 5478
          – email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

Best wishes,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.