Close

Homepage Forums Support From Our Forum Community Support for Families, Friends & Carers Have you ever thought about doing this to help your child with ocd?

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

My son has OCD and I struggle to help him. Has anyone with a child with ocd ever thought about doing this: asking everyone without OCD in his life, what exactly is wrong with him having ocd? Has this thought crossed the minds of people with family members with ocd?

I used really worry about him having ocd then one day i realised that actually it’s ok. Sure maybe i’d be happier about if it turned out that he doesn’t have ocd, but I realised that actually its part of him. So what i took from this is that i can find interesting things to appreciate about his ocd, no matter what other people think, and just let him be himself. I hope this helps someone in some way!

AndyFollett
      Participant

I agree, by taking the fear out of it you can diffuse it to nothing. It means you can help your child in a much more calm and un-anxious way. It can be frightening to have a child with ocd and your great tip puts you in a much better place to offer support. If you can teach this skill to the sufferer of ocd, it will help them resolve the problem.

Forum Moderators

Forum moderators here:

We just want you to know that you can also contact the OCD Action Helpline and Email Service to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential information and support for people with OCD (and their families, friends and carers too). Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand OCD and how it can impact the lives of family, members, friends and carers. Contact our Helpline by:

– phone: 0300 636 5478
          – email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

Best wishes,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.