Close

Homepage Forums Support From Our Forum Community OCD & Intrusive Thoughts Exposure & Response Therapy

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mattphillips78
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone and thank you for approving me onto this forum,

I am a father of two who has suffered on and off with acute OCD since I was a teenager (30 years in total) and live an active, largely OCD free life (setbacks every now and then). I have had extensive therapy and CBT and have learnt so much about how to address and self treat with this condition.

My children have been showing signs of the beginnings of OCD and are struggling with intrusive words, which they find upsetting and wont go away. This is how my OCD began back in school.

My question to you all is whether I should start some very basic ERP with them that I learnt – they are teenagers

My worry is, that despite them being upset at recurring thoughts, they do have periods of the day where I can see they have forgotten about it and are distracted and whether me saying ‘how are you’ or ‘let’s do some OCD activities’ will just remind them that they have intrusive thoughts. One of my daughters told me that for 2 weeks she has had the word ‘thinking’ in her mind over and over and it has upset her,

Any help or advice you may be able to provide will be really appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Best Wishes, Matthew

Forum Moderators

Helllo:

We’re sorry you haven’t had many replies yet and we want you to know that OCD Action offers other types of support for you.

You can contact the OCD Action Helpline and Email Service to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential information and support for people with OCD. Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

Support groups for people with OCD offer a safe place where you can talk openly about OCD and support other people. Read information about UK-based groups here:

If you don’t live in the UK, look for groups near you on the International OCD Foundation (IOCDF) website. Under “Find Help”, choose “Listing Types”, then “Support Groups”: https://iocdf.org/

And please remember that you’re never alone – OCD Action is here to support you.

Forum Moderators

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.