• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Forum Moderator.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #5292

      Anyone trying for an ocd diagnosis? You  might have to go through your GP to get a diagnosis like I did, I also paid a private psychiatrist. I was seen pretty quick. Anyone else?

      Forum Moderator


        Forum Moderators here – we’d like to share some information about how OCD is assessed, diagnosed and treated in the UK and we hope forum users find this helpful. (Note: because this topic specifically asks about OCD diagnosis, we’re not referring to BDD and related disorders in this post).

        First, just a friendly reminder forum users can be supportive and helpful, and share their own experiences of diagnosis and treatment, but they can’t tell you if you have OCD or what treatment is best for you.  You’ll need to be diagnosed with and treated for OCD by a qualified medical professional.

        This post is just a brief summary of how OCD is assessed, diagnosed and treated in the UK; please also read OCD Action’s “Assessment and Diagnosis” page:

        Making an appointment with your GP is usually the first step in the process of finding out if you have OCD. While not all GPs are aware of OCD, your GP will have an understanding of psychological disorders and is there to help you.

        And please remember that many people feel embarrassed talking to their GPs about very personal issues like OCD. If you’re worried or nervuos about seeing your GP, you could take a friend or family member with you.

        Many GPs can explain how OCD is diagnosed and what treatments are available to help you. If you’re concerned that your GP may not be familiar with OCD or just want to bring a useful resource about OCD to your appointment, download our information sheet about OCD for GPs:

        If your GP suspects that you may have OCD, they should refer you to a mental health professional for an assessment.

        At the assessment, if you’re diagnosed with OCD, you should then be referred for treatment. This usually means working with a psychiatrist, psychologist or a nurse therapist. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) with Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) and/or medication may be prescribed.

        You can read more about treatment here:

        And please remember: OCD Action can provide you with more information about diagnosis, your treatment options and how to get help. The OCD Action Helpline and Email Service offers confidential and unbiased help, information and support for people with OCD – or anyone who thinks they may have OCD.

        Please read our Helpline and Email Support pages if you’d like more information about these services :

        You can contact the Service:

        Finally, please look at our Support pages for details on the many other types of support we offer:

        We hope this information is helpful both before and after your assessment and diagnosis, and that you get the support and treatment that you deserve.


        Forum Moderators

      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.