Close
  • This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    purplerain1985
    Participant

<div class=””>

Good afternoon to everyone on this form. I would like to know if anyone else can relate to the constant need for reassurance. I experienced bullying in middle school, which then led to me being diagnosed with anxiety and depression my freshman year in high school. Although I’ve been on meds and therapy for some years now (I’m 25) seeking reassurance has been a major coping strategy for me. It’s been especially difficult the last year as my close friend of two years cut me off without warning while dealing with depression. As you can imagine this made my need for reassurance even worse. I sit hear today really struggling with the need for reassurance and wether I’ll ever be free from it. Can anyone else relate to struggling with this or did in the past ? If successful how did you overcome it ? right now it feels so hopeless:(

</div>

purplerain1985
      Participant
      Participant

Constant need for reassurance was supposed to be the title.

johna2
        Participant

Yes, its fairly standard for people with ocd. I guess we have to try sitting with the anxiety without giving in to the temptation to seek reassurance. Easier said than done.

I think occasional reassurance is maybe OK, but we can’t let it become habitual.

purplerain1985
          Participant
          Participant

Thank you for your response. Before a couple days ago I had no idea how may people had the same struggle as me. I feel like reassurance seeking is not talked about enough in the mental health space.

wannabefree
            Participant

Absolutely. I was also surprised at the number of things being touted on the radio, in order for us to be able to find help. The thing is, there are no vacancies for people who live with this stuff on a day to day basis.

And some of the professionals just don’t understand at all…

Wannabe

Forum Moderators

Hi:

Forum moderators here; we’re sorry you’re going through a difficult time now. Please don’t ever think you’re alone – OCD Action is here to help you.

And please remember that you can also contact the OCD Action Helpline to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential help, information and support for people with OCD (and anyone who thinks they may have OCD). Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your entire life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478 (this is a UK number).
                • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

And please remember that you’re never alone – OCD Action is always here to help and support you.

Best wishes,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.