Close
  • This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by wannabefree.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LilacButterfly

Hi: my gp made quite a large increase in my SSRI, from 20 to 40. I wanted to refuse, but couldn’t make the right decision for me. I’ve been OK taking 20 for several months.

Prior to this I was experiencing loud nightmares and sounds in my brain at night. I heard that sometimes if you increase or decrease you may get temporary side effects. Will I get more nightmares if I increase?

johna2
      Participant

Possibly. I used to hear loud bangs at night and have very vivid dreams on 20. My doctor wanted me to go up to 40. I refused. I gradually weaned off citalopram after about 18 maths of taking it. I’ve been free of ocd and anxiety, pretty much, for 3 years.

wannabefree
        Participant

Hi there…

I’m trying to come off my meds… People keep trying to convince me that my cheerfulness and upbeat approach to life, is purely down to the meds I’m on… But is it? I don’t believe so… I’m having medical investigations for something that is apparently a possible side effect of my antidepressants…

How is that supposed to make me feel?

If I drive the car, have an accident, and find that I’d missed a dose… Is my insurance still active?

I would like to have some control over my life…

Medicines are chemicals that I am putting into my system. They possibly control my moods.

Does anyone/anything have the right to do that to me? Well… Yes, even when I am not medicated under a section of the mental health act…  That is scary…

I hope to come off medicines eventually, I’m on the top dose of Fluoxetine. But I’m not sure that I even need now that I’ve been through therapy…  To be fair, I haven’t been clinically depressed for at least ten years.

I control my OCD by therapy, and writing about it on here. It still flares up occasionally, and I still have to work at it every day. But I really don’t want to be drugged up anymore.

Wannabe

johna2
          Participant

If I drive the car, have an accident, and find that I’d missed a dose… Is my insurance still active?

Would you have to tell the insurance company? I wouldn’t. They are always trying to wriggle out of paying up, without giving them further reasons not to pay. I doubt missing one dose would be relevant anyway.

wannabefree
            Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Hi there. To be honest, I  might just wean myself off the medicines anyway. It would be me retaking control of my life…</p>

Forum Moderators

Hi:

Forum moderators here; we’re sorry you haven’t had many replies yet. Please don’t take this personally or ever think you’re alone. It may just be that forum users are taking a bit of  time to consider how to reply and support you.

And please remember that you can also contact the OCD Action Helpline to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential help, information and support for people with OCD (and anyone who thinks they may have OCD). Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your entire life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478 (this is a UK number).
                • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

And please remember that you’re never alone – OCD Action is always here to help and support you.

Best wishes,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.