Close
  • This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 months ago by wannabefree.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    yearsandyears
    Participant

I have had a lot of stress and worry lately, and think along with a lack of proper sleep it has caused more intrusive thoughts , and weirder , more horrific than ever.   Every time I think I am handling them well,  I feel the need to bring on the really horrible thoughts on purpose when I am with the person they are about ( which breaks my heart) and then, only then can i lay the thought to rest and move on,maybe because it reassures me ?, but lately if / when I do that its not making a lot of difference , its just making me panic more over the thought, I then start all the self questioning  are you sure you feel the right emotion? are you sure you wouldn’t do that ? are you sure you  don’t want to and its really making me feel so down and even more distressed.

Am I doing some sort of checking compulsion or is it because its always given me reassurance in the past to do this ? why cant I just move on any more?

johna2
      Participant

Yes, its a checking compulsion. Best to try to resist that.

wannabefree
        Participant

A really good book that helped me, is written by an American doctor. It is called ‘Feeling good, The new mood therapy’, by Dr David Burns. It helps. amongst other things to help us deal with the compulsions in a way, that they eventually go away completely, without stressing ourselves…

Wannabe

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.