Close
avocadosontoast
Participant

Hi there,

If your child does have OCD (and let’s remember that there is a good chance they will not), they will be incredibly cared for and well-supported. Knowing that they have a mum who understands will mean that they can talk to you if they are having trouble with obsessions and compulsions rather than trying to hide it.

I have OCD and my mum does not. I know she loves me with all her heart and that I have her unconditional support (and at the end of the day that is all that matters), but she will never understand my OCD the way that someone with first-hand experience would. There are many intrusive thoughts that I will never be able to tell her about because she won’t understand.

I watched an interview with Mayim Bailik (a mother who has OCD) where she talked about having this concern. I have had a dig around to try and find it again but it is lost on the internet somewhere. The part that stuck out to me was when she said that she talked to her children about “mummy’s compulsions” so that they understood that the behaviour was specific to her and did not mimic it. I can’t remember exactly how she explained it, but maybe just having a think about how you will explain to your child what is happening might ease some of your worry now?

I am really glad to hear that therapy is helping, make sure that you keep going (as long as it helps you) because it is so important to make sure you are looking after yourself!

You are a good mum! You are doing a great job!

I hope this helps 🙂