Close

Homepage Forums Support From Our Forum Community Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) I am really finding it impossible now

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anon35
    Participant

I take painkillers, not for to get high, but initially for pain.  Only once a day to be honest but I look forward to taking them at the end of the day, because it gives me a sense of calm, helps me feel settled and takes away most muscle pain.  I don’t feel I over do it, I take small doses of the weakest that are legal to take.  Terrified in general of drugs so don’t feel concerned.

However I still feel utter shame when I think ” I can’t want to chill out tonight and take my pain relief, watch a movie ” then the panic sets in, and I mean pure fear and panic that feels like I am about to scream in actual terror, it’s heart breaking.  I all of a sudden now have this reaction to that?  I mean I look forward to eating a McDonald’s and get excited, it having a drink when I do have one which is rare, or playing a game, but totally consumed by what the world thinks that it doesn’t actually matter what I think, I just feel intense utter shame for it.

Along with shame and embarrassment for being on anti anxiety drugs for years due to my mental health, a drug I’m terrified I will get randomly no questions asked cut off, like a child who just stole sweets from the shop, shouted at and embarrassed.  I don’t think I’d survive without being able to take my be anti anxiety drugs when I need it, so I am living in fear.  I don’t need them all the time but I am do need them, it’s that simple, however the world will tell me I am wrong, not coping, put me down and I just do t want to care anymore.  I want to be confident to accept my life choices and understand I have made some good changes over the years so why am I doing this to myself?

I feel it’s become impossible to think anymore, to be me, I am just totally living in fear and I can’t get rid of it.  It’s like all the self help stuff I’ve done over the years is just a temporary fix, then it comes back hard and stronger than before.

I’m sure my my Dad doesn’t care that he looks forward to having a drink every single night, yet here I am feeling utterly fearful of being totally cut off drugs that have helped me for over ten years ( my anti anxiety )

I also know it doesn’t matter what I type, someone will tell me I am being bad and not coping, when I feel I am coping, surviving, just not all the time

Does anyone have any advice for such catastrophic thinking.  It doesn’t matter what self help I do, it only goes away once I’ve let it pass, It will pass but I get one thought of ” You’ll get cut off ” pure panic, fear and intense terror.  It’s on par if someone said ” your mum just died ” the terror is up there and why do I do this to myself?  Why cant I accept I might always need medication along with learning bee coping skills?

I don’t think I could life without my anti anxiety medication.  I can easily live without alcohol or anything else, but for quality of life I’m always going to need something.  I’m sure the whole world thinks that’s just dumb and I am silly, not being strong enough

wannabefree
      Participant

Hi there… There are herbal treatments available… Kalms, for instance, also st John’s Wort, and the Bach rescue remedies. They helped me hope for years…

Forum Moderators

Forum Moderators here:

Thanks very much for posting on the forums. We just want you to know that you’re never alone and OCD Action is here to support you.

If you’d like to talk to or email someone who understands OCD, please contact our OCD Action Helpline.

You can get confidential information about and support from a Helpline volunteer who understands how OCD can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478
          • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

We hope this is helpful,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.