Close

Homepage Forums Support From Our Forum Community Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) compulsive response to my intrusive thoughts

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tamarara4
    Participant

I have ocd and I really thought I had been getting better however I always without fail get a compulsive response to my intrusive thoughts. This happens even in times that have no relation to my intrusive thoughts. This creates thoughts of how I hate myself because my body is associating a thought with something I’m not interested in, it’s quite upsetting. Can any one relate?

wannabefree
      Participant

The thing about compulsive thoughts, is that they are rather like the demon sitting on your shoulder, scenario, nagging us repeatedly until we give in. And yet, fortunately, if we argue back, defend our right to be happy, and free of the compulsions, they do eventually lose their power over us. It sounds absurdly simple, and yet, with assertion, it does eventually work, and we become free of the thoughts… It’s almost like they give up, and go and plague someone else… I don’t mind what they do, as long as they go away, and leave me in peace! In fact, now I come to think of it, assertiveness might be a direction to go in… There will be books about learning assertiveness… We can silently shout back at the OCD bully, give it a name if you like, an identity, and glare back at it, metaphorically speaking. We have the right to be free of it, so we can get on with our lives in happiness. Welcome.

Wannabe

Forum Moderators

Forum Moderators here:

Thanks for posting on the forum and we’re sorry you haven’t had many replies yet. Please don’t take this personally; sometimes it takes a while for people to reply. We just want you to know that you’re never alone and OCD Action is here to support you.

If you’d like to talk to or email someone who understands OCD, please contact our OCD Action Helpline.

You can get confidential information about and support from a Helpline volunteer who understands how OCD can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478
          • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

We hope this is helpful,

Forum Moderators

Forum Moderators

Forum Moderators here:

Thanks very much for posting on the forums. We just want to remind you that you’re never alone and OCD Action is here to support you.

Please remember, if you’d like to talk to or email someone who understands OCD, please contact our OCD Action Helpline.

You can get confidential information about and support from a Helpline volunteer who understands how OCD can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478
            • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

We hope this is helpful,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.