Close
  • This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    wannabefree
    Participant

Hi everyone, For myself, my compulsions were driven by underlying anxiety, fear that people would become ill because of me. So I went after the anxiety… Read up on it… So the compulsions lost their power, gradually, but it worked.  Helen Kennerley has written a few books about this, and they are good value on sites like amazon, or even a good high street type bookseller. Another book that has helped me is by a Dr David Burns M.D. called ‘The feeling good handbook’, published by Plume. In fact, anything by Dr David Burns M.D. is really good, and easy reading.  Another book, also available from Amazon, is; ‘The CBT handbook’, by Pamela Myles and Roz Shafran, published by Robinson. They are both really chunky paperbacks, but a really good read.  Getting rid of the anxiety and worry helped me see that, not all compulsions needed to be reacted to, I could put the brakes on a bit, so to speak. There are lots of books available these days, some are even available in audio. So choose one that ‘grabs you’ so to speak, and buy your own copy, you can then highlight text you are finding useful.  The very first book I actually got, was by Dale Carnegie, called ‘How to stop worrying, and start living’. It is an old book, but has some good ideas. As the anxiety and worry died down, the compulsions just sort of petered out.  I do still sometimes overdo things a bit, but it is rare now, and life is great, well, Nearly! My Ocd is/was contamination issues, from trying to work in a care home. We were overwhelmed by the food hygiene regulations being taken far too seriously, and residents whose families were looking for litigation to finance their own pretty lavish lifestyles.

Wannabe

Forum Moderators

Forum Moderators here:

Thanks for posting on the forum and we’re sorry you haven’t had many replies yet. Please don’t take this personally; sometimes it takes a while for people to reply. We just want you to know that you’re never alone and OCD Action is here to support you.

If you’d like to talk to or email someone who understands OCD, please contact our OCD Action Helpline.

You can get confidential information about and support from a Helpline volunteer who understands how OCD can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478
        • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

We hope this is helpful,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.