Close
  • This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    avocadosontoast
    Participant

I have recently moved away from home for university and am living in a shared flat with three people that I don’t know very well. Three very messy people and two very fluffy cats.

I have contamination OCD and I am really struggling with the state of the flat, the kitchen in particular. I have all my own utensils, cutlery, crockery, pots, pans etc (because I anticipated that communal food related items would be an issue), but the floor is covered in cat hair and cat food, the bench is always stained, there is grease all over the stove and oven, it smells bad and all of the handles (fridge, doors, draws etc) are sticky from having never been washed.

I can barely leave my room now and I am getting more and more worried about food preparation so I am eating less.

There wouldn’t be an issue if I could clean, but none of the dirt is mine so I don’t want to make contact with it and I know that it will get dirty again almost immediately so I will be stuck in the cleaning cycle. I don’t even know the flatmates well enough to be able to ask them to clean up a little more or start a cleaning roster.

Seeing all their dirt makes me feel like they are contaminated as well.

wannabefree
      Participant

Hi there, oh yes, it can really  make our skin crawl…

There is a new word on the internet… ‘Bontamination ‘. Have a look on google and see what you think… It has certainly  helped me a lot. I have contamination ocd too. I would be trapped in rooms, unable to open a door to escape. One day, I realised that no one else was getting ill, except me… my mental health was getting ruined. Grubby people don’t care… They cannot sue me, cos they aren’t  perfectly clean either. I left care work cos of their total obsession  with food hygiene…

And yet the residents didn’t  wash their hands at all…

It was me who worried about getting sued… And yet, compared to them i was practically sterile. And if it doesn’t  harm them…

Check out that new word… hopefully it will help you as much as it has helped me.

‘Bontamination’

Wannabe

wannabefree
        Participant

I just wanted to follow this up…

Has anyone there had food poisoning yet?

I’m assuming,  no one! And even if they could have, they are all better now, and physically stronger for doing so.. Right?!

Wannabe

Heartly9
          Participant

We found out our local pub had had dead rats in the kitchen and no one ever got food poisoning g which is a nice thought isn’t it

Forum Moderators

Hi:

We’re sorry you’re going through such a difficult time with OCD and we want you to know that OCD Action offers several types of support for you

You can contact the OCD Action Helpline and Email Ser to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential information and support for people with OCD. Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

Support groups for people with OCD offer a safe place where you can talk openly about OCD and support other people. Read information about UK-based groups here:

If you don’t live in the UK, look for groups near you on the International OCD Foundation (IOCDF) website. Under “Find Help”, choose “Listing Types”, then “Support Groups”: https://iocdf.org/

And please remember that you’re never alone – OCD Action is here to support you.

Forum Moderators

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.