Close

Homepage Forums Support From Our Forum Community OCD & Intrusive Thoughts Try to stop intrusive thoughts?

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Happy1234

Shouldn’t I try to stop my intrusive thoughts from taking me over? Or is this likely to become a compulsiion?And should I try not to do compulsions? Can stopping compulsion weaken intrusive thoughts? I’m so confused by intrusive thoughts and compulsions.

wannabefree
      Participant

Hi there. Rather than stop the intrusive thoughts, just simply allow them to be there for a while… Resist the compulsions gently, for as long as you can, as often as you can, and after a while, the intrusive thoughts will go away and bother someone else, metaphorically speaking.  It is quite difficult to start with, but it does get easier, and then we are free to enjoy life again, without getting anxious about everything being okay, because it usually is.

Wannabe

Forum Moderators

Forum Moderators here:

Thanks very much for posting on the forums. We just want you to know that’ll you’re never alone and OCD Action is here to support you.

If you’d like to talk to or email someone who understands OCD, please contact our OCD Action Helpline.

You can get confidential information about and support from a Helpline volunteer who understands how OCD can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478
          • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

We hope this is helpful,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.