Close
  • This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    wannabefree
    Participant

Hi there… I’ve found that, if I try to please everyone, I actually end up pleasing no one, especially myself. It seems selfish, but I now tend to go about pleasing myself, in respect of others around me. I got to the point of telling myself that, if anyone takes offence to me, I imagine I’ve given them the lawn mower as well!  Get it? Fence? Lawnmower? A ruddy great big tractor one like they use in parks… It is such a ridiculous thought, that I actually cheer up, for myself, allowing others to go around me… Metaphorically thinking and forcing them to go around me. I give myself the same rights as I give everyone else. They soon get used to it. If they think I’m wrong, so be it… It is only their opinion after all… It is a very noble thing to do, to try and keep everyone happy, but alas, it is basically impossible, and, as people don’t always seek to please us… That is our job… Please ourselves, with respect to everyone else.  If we don’t look after our own needs, we will not be able to look after anyone else’s need anyway… When I was very ill, I tried the metaphor ‘Joy’, meaning ‘Jesus first, others second, myself last…’, But I never had time for myself… I’d spend too much of my time looking after everyone else’s needs, and I burned out… If we take time for ourselves, only then, can we be able to help others alongside us, cos they will take everything you’ve got, and still expect more… Looking after no.1 is very important. If those around us disapprove, that’s their problem… Let them moan… It’ll only make them feel worse in themselves anyway, but we metaphorically stay afloat. We survive…

Wannabe

Forum Moderators

Hi:

We’re sorry you haven’t had many replies yet and we want you to know that OCD Action offers other types of support for you.

You can contact the OCD Action Helpline and Email Service to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential information and support for people with OCD. Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

Support groups offer a safe place where you can talk openly about OCD and support other people. Read information about UK-based groups here:

If you don’t live in the UK, look for groups near you on the International OCD Foundation (IOCDF) website. Under “Find Help”, choose “Listing Types”, then “Support Groups”: https://iocdf.org/

And please remember that you’re not alone – OCD Action is here to support you.

Forum Moderators

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.