Close
  • This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by wannabefree.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    viveksingh
    Participant

A while back I became so aware of hand washing, I mean that I was doing it all the time. Is this ocd?

I’m scared of touching things like a toilet or door handle. Its all about  cleanliness, really. I worry and even go round with bleach and a cloth at home. I’ve never heard of this and it’s become a huge problem.

johna2
      Participant

Sounds like ocd.

I had a friend whose brother presented in this way. Likewise a girlfriend I had.

Have a chat to your doctor and ask about possible therapy.

wannabefree
        Participant

On our fingers, we have sweat… It is a vital part of ours, and everyone else’s natural defences.

And the air we breathe is not pure oxygen… Our bodies have naturally adapted to the stuff that occurs in the air around us.

Incidentally, Some of the worlds greatest singers and vocalists of all time, actually smoked… If it can’t harm  their voices,  How can it harm us?

Are things really that dangerous?

If others aren’t a threat to our survival, then how can we  be to them?

Babies crawl on floors, always have done… We did… And we are actually stronger for the experience…

That’s evidence that will stand up in court…

Forum Moderators

Hi:

We’re sorry you’re going through such a difficult time with your OCD and we want you to know that OCD Action offers other types of support for you.

You can contact the OCD Action Helpline and Email Service to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential information and support for people with OCD. Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

Support groups for people with OCD offer a safe place where you can talk openly about OCD and support other people. Read information about UK-based groups here:

If you don’t live in the UK, look for groups near you on the International OCD Foundation (IOCDF) website. Under “Find Help”, choose “Listing Types”, then “Support Groups”: https://iocdf.org/

And please remember that you’re never alone – OCD Action is here to support you.

Forum Moderators

wannabefree
            Participant

There is a new word going around,  and that is ‘Bontamination’ . It is a good one to Google. It considers the idea that, in ordinary life,  it is actually a good idea to ‘not’ be perfectly clean… We actually need a certain amount of germs and bacteria around us, in order for our immune system to keep strong. (Think about how things were at the conclusion of War of the worlds, by HG  Wells). We truly are amazing creatures!

Let that door handle or light switch be okay… It was last time…

Wannabe

wannabefree
              Participant

A rather good challenge comes to mind… What about going to a cafe, and having a cake with whatever your favourite drink is… Allow your fingers to become sticky… Just as babies do without thinking… What about a salad… Go on… Deliberately make your fingers sticky. But then, without using a tissue, lick each of your fingers clean, Just as you would when eating chocolate finger.  Once you have then moist, wipe them dry on your clothing… They are clean now, after all, so they won’t mark your clothing…  You can finish off the process by drying them totally on a tissue.

Then just carry on with your day. There is no need to wash your hands… The germs, if any, on your fingers are basically the same as what is already on other peoples fingers, so we cannot possibly make anyone seriously ill.

We are all, reasonably clean.

Yes, wash your hands sometimes, but not all of the time…

Washing our hands all of the time, is taking away what actually should be there, boosting our natural defences. So we would actually doing more harm than good.

Is fruit ever perfectly clean? Has it ever been? If we were to wash it in bleach, it would ruin the flavour.

Let’s all try this for a week say, and see how it goes. Just think of all the cafe’s that don’t give us knives and forks…

That is our supporting evidence. Let’s get everyone and everything ‘Bontaminated’.

Wannabe

Emavow
                Participant

It appears to resemble symptoms of OCD.

I’ve encountered individuals with similar presentations in the past; both a friend’s sibling and a former girlfriend.

Consider discussing this with your healthcare provider and inquire about potential therapeutic options.

wannabefree
                  Participant

Today I was in a motorway services. No cutlery anywhere… A thousand people, all eating with their fingers… If there was any risk at all… They would all, yes, all, bu using knives and forks… And would even them be clean?

Discuss…

Wannabe

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.