Close

Homepage Forums Support From Our Forum Community Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Procrastination hobbies and pastimes

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    phil59
    Participant

My main OCD symptom is intrusive thoughts and ruminating.

I have a problem with procrastination that usually comes about when I have to do forms also times I have to I need to ask questions.

The problem I get is when I have the opportunity to do stuff I enjoy like play my guitar, go for a walk and photography I end up putting these off then later feeling really guilty. I feel alone in this

wannabefree
      Participant

Hi there and welcome. One of the techniques I read about, was living in daytight compartments, not worrying about the future etc. I used to never leave until the following day, anything I could complete today, but that led to overload. I sort of look beyond the task in hand… That is, ‘I’ll fill this form in, then treat myself to something else I like to do… I even deliberately set myself up for tomorrow, to make tomorrow inviting and something to look forward to, rather than dread all night…  When we treat ourselves, it can be as basic as a glass of ice cold water from the fridge, to buying something I have been saving for… It doesn’t have to be expensive… A Capo for the guitar… A nice padded case… Even another guitar!  Do half the form, then take the camera with you on a walk… Come back, finish the form, and treat yourself again. Dwell on the things that are getting done, and praise yourself for getting them done. Anything left, can be done at a later time… What matters is, being positive about everything thing that gets done, and simply resolve to do the other bits at a later time. (Not too much later though!) That way, everything gets done, in its own time, and you never feel guilty. Guilt gives way to self-satisfaction, which can actually end up making us busier… Banish the guilt… It serves no other purpose than to discourage us.  Sap our strength, cripple our resolve.  By the way, This isn’t as easy as it may sound!!!

Wannabe

Forum Moderators

Forum Moderators here:

Thanks very much for posting on the forums. We just want you to know that you’re never alone and OCD Action is here to support you.

If you’d like to talk to or email someone who understands OCD, please contact our OCD Action Helpline.

You can get confidential information about and support from a Helpline volunteer who understands how OCD can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478
          • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

We hope this is helpful,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.