Close
  • This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MDC
    Participant

Hello again, I do hope that this post finds you well. I know that I am new to OCD action, but I have had a really difficult day feeling overwhelmed today with my OCD contamination thoughts. I have been out working my dog today, and usually I enjoy my time out. However, I have been experiencing strong ocd thoughts that after I picked up their dog mess, I have gone near needles and have now been infected by HIV/Aids. I suffer with these horrible thoughts on a daily basis but for some reason today they appear so real!! I am not sure if anyone else ever experiences these types of contamination fears, but I wanted to ask as I feel so silly and daft when they come into my mind. Following this, I spent the majority of the day washing and scrubbing my hands to reduce any risk to myself and my immediate family. Does anybody have any ideas of how they would approach these fears? I am sorry if I’ve causing distress to any fellow person on this site.

dianabloom
      Participant

Hello there,

Firstly, it’s important to acknowledge that what you’re going through is incredibly challenging, and you’re not alone in experiencing these thoughts and feelings. Many individuals living with OCD, including contamination fears, struggle with similar intrusive thoughts that can feel very distressing and real.

It’s understandable that today’s experience has been particularly overwhelming for you. The fear of contamination and the perceived risk of HIV/AIDS infection can trigger intense anxiety and compel you to engage in compulsive behaviors like washing and scrubbing to reduce perceived risk.

One helpful approach in managing these fears is through cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), particularly exposure and response prevention (ERP). ERP involves gradually exposing yourself to situations that trigger your OCD fears, such as touching potentially contaminated objects, and then refraining from engaging in compulsive behaviors, like excessive handwashing.

Additionally, mindfulness techniques can be beneficial in helping you observe your thoughts and feelings without judgment or attachment. Mindfulness can assist in developing greater awareness of the present moment and learning to tolerate uncertainty, which is a key aspect of managing OCD symptoms.

Connecting with others who understand what you’re going through, whether through support groups, online forums, or therapy, can provide invaluable support and encouragement. Sharing your experiences and hearing from others who have faced similar challenges can help you feel less alone and more empowered in managing your OCD.

Remember, it’s okay to seek professional help if you find that your OCD symptoms are significantly impacting your daily life and well-being. A therapist who specializes in OCD can work with you to develop personalized strategies for coping with your specific concerns and challenges.

You’re not silly or daft for experiencing these thoughts—they are a symptom of your condition, and it’s important to treat yourself with compassion and kindness as you navigate through them. Take things one step at a time, and know that healing and relief are possible with time, patience, and suppor

Forum Moderators

Forum Moderators here:

Please remember that you can also contact the OCD Action Helpline to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential help, information and support for people with OCD (and anyone who thinks they may have OCD). Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your entire life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478 (this is a UK number).
          • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

And please remember that you’re never alone – OCD Action is always here to help and support you.

Best wishes,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.