Close

Homepage Forums Support From Our Forum Community Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) I’m new here and I need help please

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 months ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hotwaterbottle
    Participant

Evening all.

I need help, so I am diagnosed with Obsessive compulsive disorder among other things, I have to work full time I can’t see any other viable alternative to that.

I started a new job earlier this year and I don’t know what to do, part of me wants to stick it out another part hates it and never wants to return. I feel like nobody “gets me” here, I feel worlds apart to most of then some of them talk about getting nice lunches out, getting new cars , weekends away and I’m trying to make my pay and overdraft last me the month also I feel like some people don’t take mental health seriously at all.

They have never offered me the option of working from home, even though this would be a massive help to me. I’m too scared to ask.

When do you think you should start looking for another job? What can I do improve things? I honestly just sit at my desk and cry sometimes because I just feel so powerless.

Any thoughts? How are other people coping?

wannabefree
      Participant

Hi there and welcome.  The forums are very quiet at the moment. I just happened to have a look on the forums this evening.

My OCD is contamination based, which I think is very different to yours.

A book that I have found really helpful, so much I even have it on my kindle reader is called;

‘Feeling good, the new mood therapy’, by Dr David Burns. It is ever so interesting, and is quite readily available now. I got mine from Amazon. It is American, but then so are most of the really good books to help us with our struggles. Dale Carnegie is good, even though the bookks were written way back in the 1950’s.

Reading about new ways of coping with work head on, to a point where we can begin to actually ‘enjoy’ the time we endure there can be really really good. David Burns is my favourite author, His books are not expensive, and a really good absorbing read.

I hope this will help you as much as it has helped me over the years.

I need to sign off now, early start in morning, but will try and get back on here at some point tomorrow.

Welcome!

Wannabe

Hotwaterbottle
        Participant
        Participant

Hi thanks for responding      I just feel at a loss with everything and wish I could do something

wannabefree
          Participant

Reading is definitely good. As is a hot refreshing shower occasionally. I’ve looked at learning about something called ‘Mindfulness’.

Wannabe

MrsGamp
            Participant

Good morning, I am new here too – my daughter (just turned 18) has OCD, as well as ASD and ADHD. Her OCD is very out of control right now and I am sorry to hear you are struggling too. Do you think things have got worse at work, or do you feel as though you never really settled in? You mention that some of you wants to stick it out – are there any positives?

Hotwaterbottle
              Participant
              Participant

Sorry for not responding earlier, the place could be further away, sometimes there is free fruit. That’s about it. I’m sorry to hear about your daughter must be tough to watch

wannabefree
                Participant

Hiya, I have just popped something on your own thread, but I’ll continue on here.

OCD seems to strike us conscientious one.  Those that really don’t give a damn seem to have things a lot easier. But believe me, they don’t I think. They vent their stress onto us with sarcasm and bullying.

The trick is to change how we approach life. The David Burns books are brilliant, as are the CD’s by Dr Claire Weekes. I’m not sure if those CD’s are still available.

I need to thank you for posting on here. Cos this forum is very quiet, and I never know if anyone is even looking on here.

Us conscientious ones need all the help and support we can get.

OCD action actually has on line support groups. I’m just trying that out for myself.

Welcome.

Wannabe

Forum Moderators

Hi:

Forum moderators here; we’re sorry you’re going through a difficult time now. Please don’t ever think you’re alone – OCD Action is here to help you.

And please remember that you can also contact the OCD Action Helpline to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential help, information and support for people with OCD (and anyone who thinks they may have OCD). Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your entire life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478 (this is a UK number).
                    • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

And please remember that you’re never alone – OCD Action is always here to help and support you.

Best wishes,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.