Close
  • This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    emerybevins
    Participant

Hi, Need some advice. How do you tell a professional, like a doctor, about ocd? I am terrified of what they will say about me suffering with my horrible thoughts.

ocdhelper
      Participant

Hey! Well if you need some direct advice you can always send me a direct message, private message, or a reply and I’ll definitely help you.

Most people do not want to tell others about their thoughts because they are obviously embarrassing and people will think that others are going to think they are crazy. Now – this belief is not entirely unfounded. People that do not know anything about OCD will probably think (because they are uninformed) ‘this person is crazy’ or ‘this person won’t help themselves’ etc.

But a true OCD professional, a good therapist, or a good doctor that has seen OCD patients before will completely understand. There is nothing you are going to tell them they probably haven’t heard 1 million times before. Do not be afraid to tell them the truth. Hiding the truth keeps OCD strong and powerful, but being honest and  open will help you get better. Find someone you can trust and be open and honest with them.

Forum Moderators

Thanks for posting on the forum and we’re sorry you haven’t had many replies yet. Please don’t take this personally; sometimes it takes a while for people to reply. We just want you to know that you’re never alone and OCD Action is here to support you.

If you’d like to talk to or email someone who understands OCD, please contact our OCD Action Helpline.

You can get confidential information about and support from a Helpline volunteer who understands how OCD can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478
          • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

We hope this is helpful,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.