Close
  • This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    yearsandyears
    Participant

Does anyone else ever think or feel that even their intrusive thoughts have become just a deeply ingrained habit just  like the mental compulsions we may do?  As I’ve had the horrible harm related thoughts for so many years I find that if I try not to think about them for a day or so they just pop into my head automatically , it then starts another automatic round of me bringing on the thoughts just so I can argue with them ‘its not me’ Im not like that or I would never want to do that.    I really feel this has all turned into a habit,  I dont enjoy any of this but really seem like a habit I cant stop,

I would like to know other peoples opinions on this.

wannabefree
      Participant

Yes, Yes I do. Something that has driven us for a time needs to undone, on purpose, undone. If we stop something suddenly, we can be fine, then the thoughts come back, sometimes twice as bad. And yet… That’s the turning point… The intrusive thoughts become only just so strong… Over and over again… The first resist is more difficult than the second. I resist, and wait for the stress to go up a bit, and then, hey presto, it reduces for a while, as something else takes it’s place. The stress inevitably goes up, but hold firm, defy it, and it will die away on it’s own. After a time, we can find that we are in a state of recovery, And at that point we are really winning!

Stuff we’ve done for a longer time can be a bit more difficult to pause and stop from, But the same principle applies…

Eventually, Gone are the impulses that weirdly get stronger, the More we check… Because we know we have done the thing okay anyway… No harm or excessive risk to myself, or indeed, anyone else

Replaced by inner calmness, and blessed relief. It can be done!

Wannabe

Forum Moderators

Hi:

We’re sorry you’re going through a difficult time with OCD and we want you to know that OCD Action offers several types of support for you.

You can contact the OCD Action Helpline and Email Service to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential information and support for people with OCD. Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

Support groups for people with OCD offer a safe place where you can talk openly about OCD and support other people. Read information about UK-based groups here:

If you don’t live in the UK, look for groups near you on the International OCD Foundation (IOCDF) website. Under “Find Help”, choose “Listing Types”, then “Support Groups”: https://iocdf.org/

And please remember that you’re never alone – OCD Action is here to support you.

Forum Moderators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.