Close
  • This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by johna2.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I’m currently in therapy for OCD my obsessions change. I’ve recently had a death in the family in which I think my ocd has sky rocketed.

Basically a random thought popped up. When I was about 11 or 12 the next door neighbours dog always tried to be near me, I was always so embarrassed and used to push him away. The one evening I tried to encourage him, I even got onto my hands and knees, ironically he wouldn’t come near me. Then the neighbour came back from ours, so I got up and never thought anymore about it. Til almost 30 years later. I remember at the time thinking about it but now looking back from an adults point of view I realise I didn’t know hardly anything about it. I don’t know if I was curious, just bored or dumb. I’m a girl by the way.

ive had two male dogs myself in my early 20s and having them didn’t bring this past memory up. I’ve never looks at animals in that way either. Even back then I definitely wasn’t, I think I was just being stupid. My head is telling me, ” if the neighbour hadn’t of come back you would have” ” did you remove your clothes” I’m nearly 100% sure I was fully clothed but now I think I’m adding in false memories. I also had a dog growing up myself and never did anything.  That’s what I mean I didn’t understand.

my compulsions are to Google, wish I hadn’t in a way. I’ve read so much dumb stuff kids have done either with other kids or animals. A common theme tends to be putting [content edited by moderators]. My ocd is still telling me mine is worse, even though nothing happened.

help me someone rationalise.

johna2
      Participant

Try not to worry about it. Kids, and adults, do all kinds of odd-ball stuff. It’s really not that important.

I highly doubt you have a thing for dogs, as for over 30 years you’ve shown no inclination to do anything strange.

I think you are probably correct. Some of this stuff is false memory.

If I were you I’d try to ignore any intrusive thoughts on this theme and try not to ruminate about it.

Anonymous

Thanks, the only problem is I’m finding that reassurance no longer works like it once did. If I don’t do any compulsions I feel that I just feel flat but the obsession is still there constantly if that makes sense.

Forum Moderators

Hi:

We’re sorry you haven’t had many replies to yet and we want you to know that OCD Action offers other types of support for you.

You can contact the OCD Action Helpline and Email Service to talk to or email someone who understands OCD.

Our Helpline volunteers provide confidential information and support for people with OCD. Most volunteers have personal experience of OCD; all understand how it can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

Support groups for people with OCD offer a safe place where you can talk openly about OCD and support other people. Read information about UK-based groups here:

If you don’t live in the UK, look for groups near you on the International OCD Foundation (IOCDF) website. Under “Find Help”, choose “Listing Types”, then “Support Groups”: https://iocdf.org/

And please remember that you’re never alone – OCD Action is here to support you.

Forum Moderators

johna2
            Participant

Feeling flat could be a result of over thinking. Your brain is probably exhausted.

It really is all about not giving in to compulsions, including the temptation to ruminate.

Try to let the thoughts be there without engaging with them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.