Close
  • This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Forum Moderators.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Neilt
    Participant

Hi A exercise I want to try that I heard is guaranteed to help with my OCD about germs is to touch something I think is really dangerous or polluted over and over for a few weeks. But is this safe? I’ve never done it, does it work?

wannabefree
      Participant

Hi there. Rather than things that are extremely dangerous, try doing it by picking up and putting down things in a supermarket… Apples, Potatoes, Mushrooms, bread that won’t be cooked before eating, packs of cheese. This is deemed reasonably safe, cos it is exactly what checkout operators do every day. No antibacterials needed. A CBT therapist got me doing this as an exercise. Eventually I got to picking up raw meat wrapped in Cellophane. Handle everything, look at it, read the wrappers, boxes… Buy some if you wish, but not everything. Believe me, no one gets ill… Everyone in the shop will already be doing it unconsciously. It seems strange to start with, but it does get easier with time! And it all goes through the checkouts…

Wannabe

Forum Moderators

Forum Moderators here:

Thanks very much for posting on the forums. We just want you to know that you’re never alone and OCD Action is here to support you.

If you’d like to talk to or email someone who understands OCD, please contact our OCD Action Helpline.

You can get confidential information about and support from a Helpline volunteer who understands how OCD can impact your life. Contact our Helpline by:

• phone: 0300 636 5478
          • email: support@ocdaction.org.uk

We hope this is helpful,

Forum Moderators

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.