At OCD Action, we strive to ensure our support services are user friendly, and one way we thought could strongly improve accessibility on our website was by adding a piece of software that would offer reading, speech and translation tools to support our site visitors. So without further ado, we are very pleased to tell you about Browsealoud.
You may have recently noticed a small orange button in the bottom right hand corner of our website screen; this button will activate Browsealoud.
The software has a range of features which could help you, or someone you know, when using our site. The features included are:
- text-to-speech: click on or select any text to hear it read aloud
- translation: written and spoken translations in multiple languages
- text magnification: enlarges text and reads it out loud
- mp3 generation: converts selected text into an MP3 audio file
- screen mask: blocks distractions on screen with a tinted mask
- web page simplifier: removes clutter from the screen, displaying only the main text
- settings: customise options to suit individual needs or preferences.
We really hope this software assists not only our current site visitors, but we also hope it will encourage many more people to use the resources on our site, and make it as easy as possible to do so.
Browsealoud is really simple to use. Just click the orange button in the corner of your screen which will open the toolbar; from there, you can choose the feature which you would like to implement. For full instructions on how to use this software, please take a look at the short video below, provided by Texthelp:
We are always looking to improve our website, and any feedback and suggestions you have are greatly received. If you have any thoughts on this new software, or our website in general, please let us know by calling us on 020 7253 5272, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.