Advice on Applying for Benefits

OCD Action is very aware of the difficulties involved in applying for and securing benefits when you have OCD. We receive an ever increasing number of requests for help and advice in this area. Unfortunately, we do not have the expertise to provide such advice nor do we have the resources to complete the often lengthy and intrusive forms that are required or to accompany people to medical assessment appointments.

We are looking to produce more OCD-specific information on the benefits system in the New Year, but in the meantime we suggest that you use existing information such as that provided by Disability Rights UK

Disability Rights UK Factsheet on Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Disability Rights UK Factsheet on Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

For help with completing benefit forms please contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) which can be found by entering your postcode here:


You might also be interested to follow the Commons Select Committee on Work and Pensions’ Inquiry into PIP and ESA assessments which is currently underway:


We hope you find this information helpful, and we hope to provide you with more information in the New Year.